Room in the Inn-Memphis offers something for everyone. If you want to share your time and talents in some of the following ways, you can Volunteer at one of our sites.
Before guests arrive
- Gather and organize hygiene supplies.
- Shop for and cook the evening meal (can be one person, family or group).
- Sweep sleeping areas.
- Prepare the dining area.
- Prepare beds with sheets, pillows and blankets.
- Transport guests on church van or in volunteer vehicles.
After guests arrive
- Welcome guests and give directions to sleeping quarters, bathrooms and dining room.
- Serve the evening meal and sit down to share the communion meal with guests.
- After meal, clean up dining area and kitchen.
- Monitor clothes closet.
- Keep the shower list and let guests know when it is their time for a shower.
- Play cards, dominoes, checkers or other board games with the guests or just have conversations.
- Spend the night (only 2 or 3 people are needed).
In the morning
- Prepare and serve a quick breakfast (coffee, milk, juice, breakfast sandwich/burrito or muffins).
- Hand out care kits.
- Transport guests back to downtown location on van or in volunteer vehicles.
After guests leave
- Clean up kitchen and dining area.
- Strip beds and place linens in bags to take to laundry.
- Put mattresses away and sweep floor in sleeping areas.
- Take linens to laundromat or wash in volunteers’ home machines.
Other volunteer opportunities
- Volunteer to welcome guests while they await transportation to churches.
- Help sort and/or wash clothes for clothes closet.
- Shop for supplies and food.
- Help recruit other volunteers.
- Create take-away/care kits for guests.
- Help organize a Room in the Inn-Memphis program in your faith community. Become a Host
Contact Us about Volunteering: email@example.com